Thursday, July 20, 2006

Todays Fed-Ex shipment wasn't photos but my new Holga!


For the first day in the last few weeks the Fed-Ex man didn't deliver an order of pictures but instead brought me my brand new Holga camera. I know what you're all thinking, that sounds like a cool expensive camera! Think again, the Holga is a twenty dollar, medium-format plastic camera. That's right, I said plastic. Plastic body, plastic lens, plastic mechanism and even the gold made in china sticker on the bottom. I included a picture for you to see, but one might wonder what I want to do with a $20 medium-format camera? The characteristics that make it special are the same things that would make any other camera a “lemon”--light fall-off, lack of sharpness, distortion, accidental double exposure, flare, or any combination of the above. I plan to mod this one out and do some really neat shots that will be the start of my storefront for poster prints. My next Holga purchase will be modded into a pin-hole camera, although I might go through a few of them changing the shutter from the set 1/100th of a sec. If you want to get a good look at what the Holga brings to the table visit DigitalSucks. While I don't think digital sucks, I think it's great shooting in film, there's just still something cool about film. After the Holga, I think a nice Lomo would be a good addition, just in case someone is wanting gift ideas.

No comments: